AMcTools Forum 
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using GET_MICRO_DATA() (Read 7083 times)
Milwaukee
YaBB Newbies

I Love Coding!

Using GET_MICRO_DATA()
01/04/11 at 19:42:13

Hi everbody,
at the very beginning I like to wish you all of you a happy new year. ;-)
I would like to know if it is possible to use the function GET_MICRO_DATA(). In usercomp the function is claimed to be under construction. So, does anybody know if it would work with v3.15?
And if not, when will be the next version of VMLAB released?

I tried to do use the function and it didn't work. Well, perhabs I just failed by programming.

Thx in advance!
:)

IP Logged
YaBB Administrator

I love forums, don't
you?

AMcTools (Spain)
Re: Using GET_MICRO_DATA()
Reply #1 - 01/08/11 at 19:16:58

Normally, it should work with 3.15... What release are you using?

WWW   IP Logged
Milwaukee
YaBB Newbies

I Love Coding!

Reply #2 - 01/09/11 at 16:00:40

That's what I tried to do. I adjusted the callback function On_time_step in my dummy peripheral. I debugged with VC++ and got always a zero pointer back.

[code]
void On_time_step(double pTime)
{
  unsigned long address = 16;
  WORD8 *pW8_ramPointer = GET_MICRO_DATA(DATA_RAM, address);

}
[/code]

I just wanted to get back the address $10 of RAM to do later on a further processing. By 'Data Memory' in VMLAB I saw that the register was in use. I used the variable address to change the address during debugging, but without success getting some data back.

Do you know what I did wrong?
I used version 3.15.

IP Logged
YaBB Administrator

I love forums, don't
you?

AMcTools (Spain)
Reply #3 - 01/09/11 at 16:32:39

I'll take a look to the code....  but if you are looking at the address = 16, if I remember well, this is a register area, so, you are retrieveing a register (R16). Try to add the offset corresponding to the register area + I/O, and see if it works.

I am really not very sure anyway....  In any case, if it is like this, it has to be documented in the manual...

WWW   IP Logged
YaBB Administrator

I love forums, don't
you?

AMcTools (Spain)
Reply #4 - 01/09/11 at 16:50:23

Sorry, wrong info...

Looking at the code, the DATA_RAM option is not yet implemented.... The only thing that works is the EEPROM, the rest returns NULL.

Do you really need it?  In such case I can prepare a private release, since this is easy to implement.

WWW   IP Logged
Milwaukee
YaBB Newbies

I Love Coding!

Reply #5 - 01/09/11 at 17:54:44

Yes, the function is essential, coz I want to watch variable contents in the microcontroller over time without stopping the simulation. So, I need the feature for further analysis of my firmware.
I would really appreciate if you could create a special version. ... That would be fantastic! :-)

IP Logged
YaBB Administrator

I love forums, don't
you?

AMcTools (Spain)
Reply #6 - 01/09/11 at 19:12:05

Ok, I'll give you instructions in a private message about how to download it. Note that private releases are only available to users that show an advanced developing activity, since the added features are untested. It is your task to test it!

But, please, wait a few days...

Just curious.....  :-? VMLAB updates the watched variables (Watch window) on-the-fly, w/o having to stop the simulation. Even more, in assembly language you can see an "analog" bar display..... So, why do you need this?  I remember that some user asked a GET_SYMBOL(...) function, to retrieve static C variables by name, with the purpose to make a RTOS monitor... Is this your case?

WWW   IP Logged
Milwaukee
YaBB Newbies

I Love Coding!

Reply #7 - 01/09/11 at 19:32:55

That's right, but I also want to [b]log[/b] internal values to prove the behaviour of my application. So, that would be a way to forward the information e.g. to a scope or text file. Well, it's for analysis and debugging purposes only. ... My application doen't work so far in VMLAB and that would be the missing power to figure out why it doesn't work yet. ... I used the address $10 only to test the function.

Okay, I will test it and push it to all possible limits. :-)

IP Logged
mace
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/14/11 at 15:10:04

Hi,
is there a way to use the GET_MICRO_DATA() function also in a user-defined component? So that i can use more instances of this component and define parameters in the project file. This would be very helpfull!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print