AMcTools Forum 
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Poll Poll
Question: In what language do you speak to your AVRs?

Atmel assembler
C - WinAVR
C- CodeVision
C- ImageCraft
C - IAR
C - Other
Bascom
Other

« Created by: moderator on: 11/13/09 at 21:38:02 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
In what language do you speak to your AVRs? (Read 7971 times)
YaBB Administrator

I love forums, don't
you?

AMcTools (Spain)
In what language do you speak to your AVRs?
11/13/09 at 21:38:02

Dear users, we need to know your preferences in order to tune future VMLAB features, please, vote !

Thanks

WWW   IP Logged
DreamCat

I love electronic!

Re: In what language do you speak to your AVRs?
Reply #1 - 11/14/09 at 05:44:49

I choice the c winavr, i don't like blackbox.

there is many people using ICC-AVR, just since the ICC-AVR provide a  application builder , it can easy generate code for hardware, and many macro, this can speed up develop work.

but ICC-AVR have not simulator, so these people use AVR-STUDIO do simulate, by the .cof file..

so i suggest you write some tool for AVR-GCC  like the ICC-AVR's app-builder... this can improve VMLAB's .....

« Last Edit: 11/14/09 at 07:33:15 by DreamCat »  
  IP Logged
Eddy-B
YaBB Newbies

Netherlands
Reply #2 - 12/30/09 at 21:54:12

Always using assembler.

I've been coding assembler since 1985 (C64/6502) and am quite fond of it. C coding would be good for creating complex applications, but since most, no wait.. [i]ALL[/i] of my projects are using a lot of device-specific peripherals it seems useless to code in C.  C just looks like assembler with a thick coat on.

If you make it a habit to comment as much as you can (i have comments on 20~50% of my source lines) it reads back just as easily, even a few years after i wrote it!
I dare you to write a big assembler program without commenting, and then trying to understand it a year later :P

[b][size=16][url=http://www.eddy-b.com]www.Eddy-B.com[/url][/size][/b]
WWW   IP Logged
Cheba
YaBB Newbies

Germany
Reply #3 - 02/28/10 at 12:40:04

My first choice for microcontrollers is definitely assembler. But for bigger projects i will use C-WinAVR, because there a lot of examples and libraries out there.

IP Logged
wzab66
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/06/10 at 12:06:53

I use gcc-avr but on Linux (with VMLAB running under wine).
Unfortunately there is no such option in your poll, so I had to check "C-other".
I think that yet another quite interesting option is lacking - the amforth [url]http://amforth.sf.net[/url] - I like it for AVRs built into the systems, which are accessible only via wireless interfaces (eg. bluetooth).
Then the same interface may be used both for programming and for exchange of information with the running system.
E.g. if you have your AVR datalogger inaccessible (e.g. located somewhere in the monitored environment), but in the BT range, you can use your BT enabled smartphone as a terminal to make small modifications "on the fly" (of course some security measures I needed - at least 8-digit BT PIN, to avoid misconfiguring by someone else.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print